We had these chimichangas last week and the smell and taste were out of this world. The components are extremely versatile - we ate the leftovers the next day as chicken tacos and were disappointed that there wasn't any left!
Try it and let me know how you like it!
- 16 ounces chicken broth
- 1/4 cup taco seasoning
- 2 frozen, boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. dried, crushed oregano
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 can black beans (drained, rinsed)
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 8 ounces shredded monterey jack or mexican blend cheese
- 4-8 taco-size flour tortillas (depending on whether you want more now or leftovers for tacos the next day!)
- Olive oil
- The morning before, combine the chicken broth and taco seasoning in your slow cooker. Add the chicken breasts. Cook on low for 8 hours, shredding once cooked.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a small baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, combine the spices. In a large bowl, combine the chicken, spices, black beans, salsa, and cheese.
- Heat the tortillas (I cover in a damp paper towel and microwave for a few seconds). On each tortilla, add about 1/3 cup of the chicken mixture to the center. Wrap like a burrito (top and bottom first, then sides. Place it seam-side down on the baking sheet. Repeat with the rest of the tortillas.
- Brush each chimichanga with olive oil and sprinkle salt lightly on top. Bake for 15 minutes or until lightly toasted on top.
- Serve with salsa or queso. Swoon.